Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bienvenue a Tours!

I will start of by explaining the title of my blog: it was the first thing I bought in Tours, and I have had ham (jambon) in both of my dinners as well, so I thought, why not.

The journey here was quite exciting. First, my parents and I drove up to the Charlotte airport from home, and then I did the whole thing and ended up at the gate with about two and a half hours to spare before takeoff. I then proceeded to kill time on my phone. Eventually, I was in the plane, waiting to take off. It had no delays, and there was not a long line of planes waiting. During the flight, I watched the movie "Water for Elephants," which was alright, I thought it was kind of boring. I also watched "Wallstreet: Money Never Sleeps" during which I fell asleep for maybe an hour. That was the total amount of sleep I got that night. Upon landing, it took Quincy and I a while to figure out exactly where we were supposed to meet the rest of the group, but when we realized we needed to go through customs after we got our baggage--aka a hallway with guys holding semiautomatic rifles--everything was fine. We had some down time while we waited for the last member of our group (Ashley) to arrive on her delayed flight which is when we received our phones. After taking a short shuttle to the train station, we got a quick rundown of how the train system works in France, and then got our surprise first class tickets. The train ride was about two hours, and a lot more comfortable than the plane. After reaching Tours, my host dad was waiting at the station to walk me home.

My living situation is as follows: I live in a 3-story town house, with two parents, their 20 year old son, 18 year old nephew, and another guy who lives here and works with the nephew, but I think he works or something because he and the nephew have to leave the house around 7:50 every morning. They all seem to be very pleasant, and the parents are especially kind, and very easy to talk with. The son can even pronounce the "th" of my name (unlike most french people), and taught the mom to say it as well. I have eaten well, even eating the salad they have provided at both dinners--albeit I only ate about four leaves, or whatever you call individual lettuce. It was not very good, but the main courses have been good. I must say that the cereal they provided me with was too sweet, even for me. It was a chocolatey oat cereal with white, milk and dark chocolate chips mixed in. So basically, it is a chocolate cereal with half a bar of chocolate broken up in it.

Right now I am waiting to go to bed before the first day of class tomorrow. We will find out our course level based on our placement test that we finished today, and then we will get a schedule of classes that we can take. Based on what Dr. Kruger said, I think I will take mainly classes offered for Davidson students because those all sound very interesting, and in a couple weeks, the University starts back up and I may take a course there just to see what it is like. Who knows.

To sum up: I made it here safely, I love it, I haven't really started doing anything important, and hope the rest of the week goes well.

I also lost my camera in the Charlotte airport. Fail on my part.

Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment